February 1, 2018 7:05 p.m.
- President, Chris Stoneking opened the meeting by welcoming everyone.
- No visitors attended this meeting.
- Aileen is doing better after her surgery and hopes to be back next month. 2018 membership cards will be distributed upon her return.
- Please remember, if you attend any Lancaster Parks events, please submit your best photos so they can be considered for use in upcoming brochures and publications. Forward any photos you would like to submit to Chris Stoneking and he will see that they are directed to the proper park representative.
- There was a discussion about the theme of “Libraries Rock” and the scavenger hunt category of “Rock and Roll” and how members interpreted the meaning of these terms. The general consensus was that “Rock and Roll” and “Rock” should be interpreted as a general music theme with examples presented of song titles, musician’s or musical group names, street musicians, or musical instruments as ideas of subjects that fit these categories. These themes are open to your personal interpretation but be cautious if it is being judged for a contest, the judge may not grasp your interpretation in relation to the categorical theme.
- Scott Campbell is looking for a tripod for a project. If you have one that you no longer use and want to give away, please contact Scott.
- Sue received photos for the Olivedale basement display. The new theme is Valentine’s Day with photos used to display the holiday theme of love, and the colors pink or red. Please pick up any photos you had on display from the previous theme.
- It was stated that Adobe will not being developing a Lightroom 7. The company has decided to convert totally to the Creative Cloud subscription.
- Dawe’s Arboretum Maple Syrup Days: February 24, 2048 to March 4, 2018. 10:00 am- 4:00pm. Main Shelter House. Guided tours of the Maple Syrup Trail will be offered at noon, 1pm and 2pm on February 24, February 25, March 3 and March 4. The guided tours are FREE for members and $2 for non-members. At the end of the guided tour, guests will have a chance to stop inside the Log Cabin where docents will greet you with a warm fire and a taste of syrup as you witness the evaporator at work. Private, group tours can be scheduled February 26- March 2. Contact email@example.com or 740.323.2355 for pricing and availability.
- Alley Park Maple Tapping Festival: The festival takes place on March 10, 2018 at Charles Alley Park. The festival is from 8 a.m. – noon and the Pancake Breakfast is 8-11 a.m. The festival is free, and the Pancake Breakfast is $5 per person.
- Orchids: Utopia at Franklin Park Conservatory: January 13, 2018 to March 4, 2018 from 10:00am -5:00pm daily. Every Sunday during Orchids: Utopia, Central Ohio Orchid Society members answer orchid questions in the Dorothy M. Davis Showhouse.
- The treasury balance is currently $540.00. The beginning balance was $324.00. Many members paid their dues bringing the ending balance to $524.00.
- Annual dues for 2018 are $24.00/individual, $36.00/family, and $6.00/student (under 21 and an active student). Chris requests all dues be paid ASAP.
- The fair booth bill will be received shortly. Chris proposed a vote to the members present if the booth should be reserved for the 2018 Fairfield County Fair. All members present approved of the booth reservation and payment of the fee.
- The theme for the 2018 library Exhibit is “Libraries Rock” (music theme).
- Set up for this event will be Saturday, June 16th with the exhibit opening on June 17th.
Alley Park Photography Exhibit
- March 22nd-25th, 2018 (Thursday through Sunday). Thursday-set up, Friday, judging from 4-6pm (judging is only open to Officers and Committee Members), Saturday-Exhibit from 10am-6pm and Sunday-Exhibit from 11am-5pm with awards towards the end of the exhibit and tear down immediately following.
- Judging categories: Wildlife, Black and White, Abstract, Vintage, Transportation, and Macro.
- Please email or FB message Tim of what size display board you would like if you plan to participate.
- To promote the show, please print and hand out the fliers. They are available on the MPPC Facebook Group page.
- There will be ribbons posted beside the category winners throughout the event, so the public can see which photos placed in the competition.
- Please email to Tim or post on the MPPC Facebook Group page any suggestions you have for classes (and who would be a good candidate to teach the session) and vendor presentation ideas.
- Bonnie will have a food sign up list at the March meeting.
- Tim is working on the display lay out and class schedule.
- Chris Stoneking will present the Perspective Photo Challenge at the Alley Park Show as one of the event classes. He stated that he was impressed with the variety and good work that was submitted.
Macro Photography Program (presented by Kamal K.)
- Kamal provided a hand out to the members outlining his presentation about macro photography. Please see Kamal if you would like a copy.
- Macro photography is used to photograph small objects or to magnify a part of a larger object.
- Sharp focus is critical due to the very shallow depth of field. Fill the frame with the object eliminating clutter in the background. A focus rail can be very useful as well as layering and focus stacking in post processing.
- Camera gear and settings: 1. DSLR Camera. 2. True Macro Lens with 1:1 magnification ratio. Or, Zoom lens with an extension tube. 3. Manual exposure provides the best results. 4. Shoot in RAW. 5. Photo editing software for post processing. 6. Tripod and shutter release. 7. Lighting: Flash/diffuser, soft box, reflector. 8. Focus rail for focus stacking.
- Julia mentioned that Jim Shirey is a very talented, local photographer that has excellent samples of his macro work if you want to check out his Facebook page.
2018 1st Quarter Scavenger Hunt Categories
- Music/Rock and Roll
- Open (Anytime)
Meeting Adjourned by Chris Stoneking at approximately 8:15 pm.