February 2, 2017 7:00 PM
- Chris Stoneking opened the meeting by welcoming everyone. Chris acknowledged visitors, Don and Ruth Cornell. Don stated that he is a novice photographer wishing to develop his interest and skills. Chris also welcomed Paul back as it has been several months since he was last able to attend a meeting.
- Chris stated that the January meeting was rather informal due to many members being unable to attend because of the weather. He was initially prepared to do a last-minute cancellation of the meeting but when he arrived at Olivedale, a group had already gathered. The members in attendance discussed several topics that were presented to the entire group in February.
- Fourth quarter scavenger hunt judging was postponed until the February meeting to allow greater participation due to the low number in attendance at the January meeting.
- Eric extended his appreciation for all the thoughts and prayers for his family as his wife, Stephanie, continues to recover from a stroke. Her recovery is progressing very well. He encourages everyone to learn first aid because you never know when you might be able to save a loved one’s life.
- Please bring any photos based on an animal/wildlife theme to the March meeting that you would like to display at Olivedale.
Showstopper Dance Competition
- February 17th -19th, 2017 at the Columbus Convention Center
Annual Orchid Display
- Now through March 3, 2017 at Franklin Park Conservatory.
- Please be aware of FPC’s photography policy that allows photography of the premises for personal use but prohibits photography for professional purposes.
Maple Syrup Tapping
- February 25th to March 12th, 2017 at Dawes Arboretum.
Columbus Metro Parks Activities
Raptor Program: Sunday February 5, 2017 from 1-4pm. Sponsored by the Ohio Wildlife Center at Blacklick Woods.
- Waterfowl Photo Prowl: Saturday, February 11, 2017 at Blendon Woods.
- Wolf Program: Sunday, February 12, 2017 at Battelle Darby Creek Park.
- Winter Greens Hike: Saturday, February 25, 2017 from 1-4pm at Boch Hollow State Nature Preserve. Meet at the park office located at 7211 Bremen Rd.
- Ice Cave Hike: Sunday, February 26, 2017 at Clearcreek Metro Park. Self-guided hike at your on pace.
Columbus Blue Jackets Winter Park
- The Arena District in downtown Columbus this weekend through February 26th, 2017.
- Sledding hill, outdoor skating, and many other winter activities.
Treasurer’s Report: (Aileen Jacobs)
- The balance of the club’s treasury is $62.00.
- A donation from button sales was received.
- We need to continue to be thinking about fundraising activities for the upcoming year. We will continue to have raffles to raise funds. An idea to raise funds was presented at the January meeting and was explored further at the meeting this evening. (See discussion under “January Meeting Topics” in the meeting minutes.)
- All 2017 membership dues are to be paid by the March meeting. The entirety of the dues collected goes to Parks and Rec. for the use of their facilities. Annual dues are $12.00 for an individual and $18.00 for a family. 2017 membership cards will be available soon.
- Tim announced that there will no longer be an operating fee for the club website as his business website account allows for multiple sites included for a set fee. It was offered that the club would reimburse a percentage of the website fee but he declined the offer. The club has rescinded its offer to reimburse the Parkers for its portion of the club’s website fee as Tim stated that no payment was needed now that his business account allows for the development of multiple sites for the set account fee.
Discussion Topics from January’s Meeting
- Fund Raising Idea: Proposal to add a Club Maintenance Fund that would be $12 per member or $18 per family per year in addition to the annual dues. This fund will be used to build up the club’s treasury for annual expenses preventing last minute fund raising when expenses occur. The club by laws state that dues are $12 annually so the additional funds collected would have to be submitted to the treasury account using unique terminology to differentiate it from funds collected for dues. Chris would like to collect these funds once a year at the same time annual dues are paid. A motion was made to establish the “Club Maintenance Fund”. All members present approved, no objections were noted.
- Committee Discussion: Chris would like to build a committee system to encourage everyone to get involved in the club to promote creativity through collecting diverse perspectives and ideas. Committee Categories: Alley Park Exhibit, Fair Booth, the Art Walk and FCHC Rotating Display, the Olivedale Display and the Library Exhibit. The idea is to distribute the work load between a group of members with the result of less stress for everyone and hopefully, more organized activities/exhibits. Eric suggested limiting members to one committee to encourage diversity. Chris will have committee signup sheets at the March meeting.
- Monthly Programs/Demonstrations: Chris brought up the topic that it would be nice to have a program based on a photography subject for each meeting. He would like to see the club take on a more “interactive” character. It was suggested that a few minutes during each meeting to have a quick overview of camera basics to help new members that might not be as familiar with their equipment. Please fill out the sheet that was attached to Tim’s club email and return it to Chris so that we can hear everyone’s ideas for club goals and expectations for the coming year.
4th Quarter 2017 Scavenger Hunt Judging Results
- Fall Colors: 1. Sheila Kassouf, 2. Sue Finch, 3. Rhonda Angel
- Motion: 1. Kamal Kassouf, 2. Sheila Kassouf, 3. Rhonda Angel
- Night Sky: 1. Rhonda Angel, 2. Chris Angel, 3. Kamal Kassouf
- Rustic: 1. Bonnie Johnson, 2. Chris Angel, 3. Rhonda Angel
- Shot through Glass: 1. Bonnie Johnson, 2. Rhonda Angel, 3. Sue Finch
- Silhouette: 1. Chris Angel, 2. Bonnie Johnson, 3. Rhonda Angel
- Open (Anytime): 1. Bonnie Johnson, 2. Chris Angel, 3. John Daniels
Fairfield County Library Exhibit
- The 2017 exhibit photos will be based on the theme “Build a Better World”. All photos submitted for the display should be subject matter created around the ideas of architecture, building and construction.
- The tentative set up date will be Wednesday, June 7, 2017.
- The Opening Artist Reception will be Sunday, June 11, 2017 with the exhibit running from June 11th to July 14th.
1st Quarter 2017 Scavenger Hunt Categories (Jan., Feb., Mar.)
- Winter Wonderland, Construction, Architecture, Bridges, Religious Themed, Shadows and Open (Anytime). Photos submitted for each category will be based on your interpretation of the themes.
- Photographs are to be 4”x6”. Please do not print with borders. It makes them difficult to display if you place with your photo.
- Three judges who are not participating in the competition will be chosen to select the three winning photographs of each category.
Camera Basics and Manual Settings (Kamal Kassouf)
- Kamal presented a basic overview of the exposure triangle and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO variations impact each other.
- There was a depth of field demonstration and how it is effected by the aperture setting.
- This program will be divided into four sessions: Camera Basics and Exposure Settings, Exposure Photo Critique, Composition Skills Video and Composition Photo Critique.
- Session 1: Know Your Camera’s Main Parts. Overview of dial mode, white balance, auto focus, file format and parts of the DSLR camera.
- The exposure triangle: ISO (The sensitivity of the camera’s internal sensor to light), shutter speed and aperture (large aperture gives a shallow depth of field while a small aperture provides a wider depth of field).
Meeting Adjourned by Chris Stoneking at approximately 8:50 pm.